Friday, December 21, 2007

I Read Two More Historical Fiction Newbery Winners

One from 1941: The Matchlock Gun, by Walter D. Edmonds, set in 1757; and one from 1973: The Slave Dancer, by Paula Fox, set in 1840. Both are especially interesting when it comes to race - check out the title links for my reviews at The Newbery Project.


I'm also reading Monique and the Mango Rains: Two Years with a Midwife in Mali, by Kris Holloway, and it is simply amazing. I wish I'd heard about this book a year or two ago, because then I could have seen the author when she came to Ann Arbor and talked about her book. It is an especially nice follow-up to The Birth House, which my book club read last month, and reminds me of two great books on Africa by anthropologists: Return to Laughter, by Eleanor Smith Bowen, and Dancing Skeletons, by Katharine A. Dettwyler.

2 comments:

sweetpotato said...

Thanks so much for your comment! And sorry it took me so long to get back to you--I was gone from the computer for most of December.

I was interested in your offer that I could crosspost at The Newbery Project--I'll email the address listed on the side of the blog.

Thanks again for the comment!

Anonymous said...

I've now put Monique and the Mango Rains on my TBR list, it looks very interesting. I'll read it soon!